Characterization of Streptococcus pyogenes Isolated from Throat Swabs in Baghdad Children Patients


The study aimed to determine immune status of patients with respect to Streptococcus pyogenes. The present study was conducted to determine antibody against Group A Streptococcus (GAS) in serum of children patients suffer from tonsillitis and pharyngitis. A total of 260 samples (197 blood samples and 260 throat swab) was collected from 260 patients, 169 (65 %) of them were males and 91 (35%) were females suffering from Tonsillitis and pharyngitis. The results indicated that most age groups 2- 13years being susceptible for tonsillitis in children, were among the recurrent tonsillitis and the males were more susceptible and response to infection compared with females. The study included two main parts. The first one was the bacterial diagnosis based on relied diagnostic procedure (classical and advance which involved Api 20 Strep and Viteck 2 system). The second part was the detection of antistreptolysin O (ASO) by using a latex agglutination test. The throat swabs culture from patients conducted its Lancefield group to suggest group A. The results observed that GABH (3.07%) Streptococcus pyogenes, while the rest other bacteria 252 (96.92 %) group as other bacteria from total study samples (260).