Ischemic Heart Disease Mortality, Morbidity and Risk Factors of Coronary Care Unit Patients

Abstract

Background: Ischemic heart disease (IHD) is the commonest type of heart disease .It causes more deaths and disability and incurs greater economic costs than any other illness. Gender, age, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, smoking, hyperlipidemia and family history are obvious risk factors. In acute state it may be complicated by life threatening arrhythmia, heart failure, circulatory failure and cerebrovascular accidents.Aims of study: To evaluate the patients with ischemic heart disease admitted to the coronary care unit of Baquba teaching hospitalPatients and Methods: A total of 160 cases of patients with various symptoms of ischemic heart disease including chest pain, dyspnea, and palpitation are evaluated in the coronary care unit of Baquba teaching hospital by history taking, physical examination, and Electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, and lab tests with continuous follow up until discharge from the coronary care unit.Results: From total number 97(60.62%) patients were males,58 have myocardial infarction and 39 have angina .The rest of the patients were females 63 (39.38%),41 of them have angina and 22 have myocardial infarction. Male was the highest risk factor followed by hypertension, diabetes mellitus, smoking family history and hyperlipidemia .Arrhythmia is the commonest complication while heart failure, cerebrovascular accident and circulatory failure of lesser frequency .