Ingested Fishbone Results in Sigmoid Colon Perforation

Abstract

The unwitting swallowing of a foreign body is not uncommon and rarely causes perforation of anypart of the gastrointestinal tract. We have reported in this case of a 46-year-old man who presentedwith a clinical picture similar to a perforated peptic ulcer. At the laparotomy exploration, thecase was a perforation of the sigmoid colon by a fishbone (6 cm in length). The foreign object wasremoved and the perforated site was closed by the primary suturing. There were no postoperativecomplications. Although intestinal perforation due to an ingested foreign object is seldom to beseen, the surgeon must be aware of its occurrence and put it as one of the differential diagnosisin a case of an acute abdomen. A detailed history and computerized tomography (CT) scan areessential tools to detect intestinal foreign bodies in subjects with acute abdomen.