An Evaluation Study of von Willebrand Factor and Other Hematological Parameters of Preeclamptic Patients in Babylon Province


Aim: The aim of the study was to evaluate the role of some hematological parameters in early diagnosis of preeclampsia.Patients and methods: The study was conducted in Maternity and Pediatrics Teaching Hospital in Hilla city during the period from November 2009 to May 2010. Seventy women(45 preeclamptic pregnant women as patients,15 healthy pregnant women and 10 healthy nonpregnant women as control groups) at the age of reproduction were included in this study. For every subjects participate in this study the following parameters were measured; the level of vWF, fibrinogen, packed cell volume and platelets count.Resultspreeclampsia was (60%) more common in PE of > 35 and < 20 years. While, the remainder (40%) in PE of < 35 and > 20 years.PE seems more frequent (62%) in primigravida than of (38%) in multigravida.Our data confirm that percentage of PE in pregnant women lived in rural areas (60%) more than urban areas (40%).Parameter of family history show that 26 out of 45 (58%) had have family history, while 19 out of 45 (42%) hadn’t have PE family history. Hematological investigate results observe high significant increase in vWF concentration in PE patient group compare with non pregnant group. As well as, to significant increase in fibrinogen levels in PE group than in non pregnant and pregnant control groups.Also, obtained data detect significant increase in PCV ratio in PE group than in the two control groups.Finally, the platelets count show highly significant decrease (P < 0.001) in PE group than in those two control groups. In addition to present of significant differences between the two control groups.Conclusion We conclude from this study that there are some parameters may be give an early diagnostic evidence for occurrence of preeclampsia .