Prevalence of Microalbuminuria


AbstractBackground: Diabetic nephropathy accounts for a significant reduction in life expectancy of diabetic patients, approximately 80% of Type 1 diabetic patients and 30% of type 2 diabetic patients with microalbuminuria progress to overt nephropathy after 10–15 years.Objective: To determine the prevalence of micro- and macro-albuminuria in diabetic patients in AL-Najaf city and the predictive value of some risk factors.Method: Urinary albumin-creatinine ratio (ACR) in a spot early morning urine sample was used and the patients were categorized as normo-albuminuric when ACR<30 mg/g, micro-albuminuric when 300>ACR≥30 and macro-albuminuric when ACR≥300 mg/g.Results: Prevalence of albuminuria among Type1 patients was 4(67%) microalbuminuria, 0% macroalbuminuria, i.e. 67% had abnormal urinary albumin-creatinine ratio (ACR). The corresponding prevalence for Type 2 patients was 26(52%) micro-albuminuria, 4(8%) macro-albuminuria and total of 30(60%) for abnormal urinary albumin-creatinine ratio (ACR).Conclusion: The occurrence of microalbuminuria detected in this study was much higher than previously reported in other studies and the duration of diabetes was the strongest predictor.