Identification of Enterococcal Species by Polymerase Chain Reaction Technique, with Study of Some Immunological Features

Abstract

Objectives: Detection of genes responsible for identification of enterococci to the species level using PCR, determination of enterococcal serum resistance and phagocytic index.Materials and methods: seven enterococcal isolates were obtained from two hundred urine samples. After identification of enterococcal isolates by biochemical tests, all of them were subjected to PCR technique using species-specific PCR primers for E. faecalis and E. faecium, enterococcal serum resistance and phagocytic index were detected.Result: This study revealed that five isolates (71.43%) reacted with ddlE. faecalis; whereas the remaining (28.57%) isolates reacted with ddlE. faecium. Also, revealed that phagocytic index of two E. faecalis and one E. faecium isolates were 27%, 25% and 19%, respectively, while one E. faecium isolate showed phagocytic index as 8%. Moreover, enterococcal serum resistance showed that E. faecalis was more sensitive to the serum as compared to E. faecium.Conclusion: Enterococcal isolates can't be easily identified to the species level by conventional or traditional methods but it can be easily identified by species-specific PCR primers ddlE. faecalis and ddlE. faecium. Enterococcous faecalis tends to be more sensitive to innate immune parameters as compared to E. faecium.