research centers


Search results: Found 2

Listing 1 - 2 of 2
Sort by

Article
The Uses of Pedicled buccal Pad of Fat Flap in Reconstruction of Intra Oral Defects

Authors: Mudher M. Alsinibli --- AdilAlkhayat عادل الخياط --- Auday M. Al-Anee عدي العاني
Journal: Journal of baghdad college of dentistry مجلة كلية طب الاسنان بغداد ISSN: 16800087 Year: 2016 Volume: 28 Issue: 1 Pages: 121-126
Publisher: Baghdad University جامعة بغداد

Loading...
Loading...
Abstract

Introduction: Different surgical techniques used for closure of various oral defects. While each one of thesetechniques has its limitation; the buccal pad of fat used in last quarter of last century as pedicle or free graft inreconstruction of small to medium, congenital and acquired defects showed good potentials for success. Thepresent study used the BPF as pedicled flap to reconstruct intra oral defects. The study aimed to evaluate of thesuccess of buccal pad of fat pedicled flap in the reconstruction of intra oral defects. Outlining its indications,limitations and complications.Materials and Methods: The study included 19 patients (17 males and 2 females) with age range between (1- 70years), all patients were treated with pedicled BPF for intra oral defects (8 pts. with oro-antral communications, 5pts.with maxillary alveolar bone defects, 4 pts. with cleft palate, and 2 pts. with carcinoma of buccal mucosa), undergeneral or local anesthesia. Follow-up period was for 3 months post-operatively,Results:The results showed that 94.7% of patients had complete epithelization of flap and complete closure of thedefect within 4-6 weeks. Only 1 pt. 5.3% had total flap loss with very small size of the BPF. In postoperative period, 5.3%of pts. complained from pain, trismus, vestibular obliteration, partial flap loss, all disappeared gradually within 1month from the reconstruction.Conclusion:The BPF is reliable, easy, safe method to reconstruct small and medium size intra oral defects of maximumsize 5x4x3 cm, in maxilla from upper canine region to the soft palate, and in buccal mucosa from retro molar area tothe commissure of the mouth


Article
Surgical Biopsy in Cervical Lymphadenopathy

Loading...
Loading...
Abstract

Background: Cervical lymph nodes are the most frequently enlarged and biopsied of all the peripheral lymph nodes and in most of the cases the enlargement results from benign infectious causes, however, the presence of cervical lymphadenopathy (LAP) requires accurate diagnosis to exclude more serious causes. The aim of this study was to analyze cases of Iraqi patients presenting with cervical LAP who underwent surgical lymph node biopsy to establish accurate diagnosis.Materials and Methods: This retrospective study included 25 patients who presented with cervical LAP for whom surgical biopsy was performed to establish a definitive diagnosis. The investigated data included the demographic and clinical parameters in addition to the final histopathological diagnosis.Results: Twenty five patients were included in this study with a mean age of 33.8 years and female predominance; benign diseases were diagnosed in 56% of the cases whereas the remaining 44% were diagnosed with malignant diseases. Tuberculous lymphadenitis was the most common cause.Conclusion: This study emphasizes the importance of surgical lymph node biopsy in establishing a definitive diagnosis in patients presenting with cervical LAP

Listing 1 - 2 of 2
Sort by
Narrow your search

Resource type

article (2)


Language

English (2)


Year
From To Submit

2016 (2)