research centers

Search results: Found 1

Listing 1 - 1 of 1
Sort by

Accuracy of ultrasound versus computed tomography in diagnosis of maxillary sinusitis
فعالية فحص الأمواج فوق الصوتية بالمقارنة مع المفراس الحلزوني في تقييم أمراض الجيب الوجني


Background: ultrasound offers non-invasive, rapid and simple method for confirming the clinical diagnosis of maxillary sinus pathologies.Objective: to evaluate the accuracy of real time ultrasound compared with the computed tomography in evaluation of maxillary sinusitis.Patients and materials: This comparative cross-sectional study was done on 42 patients referred for computed tomography examination of paranasal sinuses in Al-Yarmook Teaching Hospital-Baghdad, from October 2012 to February 2013 with patients clinically suggesting an underlying maxillary sinusitis. Ultrasound and computed tomography examinations were carried out on the same day, the ultrasound being the first investigation. The sample of this study consisted of 26 men and 16 women. The age of patients ranged between 20-60 years, mean age equal to 38 years. Our patients were randomly selected.Results: The results are based on the data analysis of total forty two [84 sinuses] patients with symptoms and/or signs of maxillary sinus diseases. In this study, real time B-mode ultrasonography of maxillary compared with computed tomography had a 81.8% sensitivity, 100 % specificity and 90.4% accuracy. The present study showed that total opacity of the maxillary sinus on computed tomography frequently gave a positive full sinus scan [77.7%] while the rest shows partial sinus scan [22.3%]. All patients with positive full sinus scan on ultrasound of maxillary sinuses have total opacity on computed tomography.Conclusion: Ultrasound can help as one of primary investigations of maxillary sinusitis. A positive full sinus scan appeared specific for total opacity of the maxillary sinus on computed tomography. A postural adjustment of the patient slightly bent foreword reduces the false negative results.Key words: ultrasound, computed tomography, maxillary sinus.

خلفية البحث: فحص الأمواج فوق الصوتية للجيب الوجني يوفر معلومات هامة للطبيب السريري عن تشريح الجيب الوجني وأمراضه من خلال فحص سريع وغير اجتياحي.هدف البحث: تقييم فعالية فحص الامواج فوق الصوتية لأمراض الجيب الوجني بالمقارنة مع مشاهدات المفراس الحلزوني.الطرق والمرضى: دراسة وصفية مقارنة بين فحص الأمواج فوق الصوتية للجيب الوجني والمفراس الحلزوني، أجريت على 42 مريضا للفترة من تشرين الأول 2012 إلى شباط 2013 في مستشفى اليرموك التعليمي في بغداد. اجري فحص الأمواج فوق الصوتية والمفراس الحلزوني للجيب الوجني في نفس اليوم على ان يكون فحص الامواج فوق الصوتية في البداية. يشمل البحث 26 مريضا ذكرا و 16 مريضا انثى وان معدل عمر المرضى يتراوح ما بين 20-60 عاما علما ان اختيار المرضى كان عشوائيا. النتائج: أظهرت نتائج مقارنة مشاهدات فحص الامواج فوق الصوتية مع مشاهدات المفراس الحلزوني التالي: الحساسية 81.8% الخصوصية 100% الدقة 90.4%. كما بينت هذه الدراسة بأن العتمة الكلية للجيب الوجني في المفراس الحلزوني تظهر غالبا عتمة كاملة في فحص الامواج فوق الصوتية بنسبة 77.7 % بينما تظهر عتمة جزئية في 22.3% من الحالات، وان كل مريض اظهر عتمة كلية في فحص الأمواج فوق الصوتية دائما يعطي عتمة كلية في فحص المفراس الحلزوني. الاستنتاجات: فحص الأمواج فوق الصوتية للجيب الوجني ممكن اعتماده واحدا من الفحوصات الابتدائية للكشف عن أمراض الجيب الوجني. العتمة الكلية في فحص الامواج فوق الصوتية تظهر خصوصية عالية للعتمة الكلية للجيب الوجني في فحص المفراس الحلزوني. تغيير وضعية فحص المريض نحو الأمام قليلا يقلل من النتائج السلبية الكاذبة.مفتاح الكلمات: الامواج فوق الصوتية، المفراس الحلزوني، الجيب الوجني

Listing 1 - 1 of 1
Sort by
Narrow your search

Resource type

article (1)


English (1)

From To Submit

2014 (1)