research centers


Search results: Found 3

Listing 1 - 3 of 3
Sort by

Article
16- EVALUATION OF USING TISSUE EXPANDER FOR RECONSTRUCTION OF POST BURN ALOPECIA OF SCALP

Authors: Suzan Fadil Jabber --- Ari Raheem Qader
Journal: Basrah Journal of Surgery مجلة البصرة الجراحية ISSN: 16833589 Year: 2011 Volume: 17 Issue: 1 Pages: 117
Publisher: Basrah University جامعة البصرة

Loading...
Loading...
Abstract

Ari Raheem Qader*& Suzan Fadil Jabber@*Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Sulaimania.@Diploma in plastic surgery, Department of Surgery, Sulaimania Plastic and Burn surgery Hospital.*Email:drzangana@yahoo.com, Mobile no.-009647701526316AbstractTissue expansion represents one of the major advances in surgery and is particularlyapplicable to burn reconstruction. The technique provides tissue of similar texture and color tothe defect to be covered and has the added advantage of minimal donor site morbidity.This study aimed to assess the results & complications in the correction of post burn scalpalopecia using a tissue expansion, prevention of implant extrusion, lower the infection rate intissue expansion and expander selection.Forty patients with scalp burn alopecia treated with tissue expansion of the scalp, wereincluded in this prospective study in Sulaimania hospital of burn and reconstructive surgery fromFebruary 2002 to September 2009 with age groups ranging from (4-30) years with an averageof 15.5 years. Twenty three patients were females.The time period between burn injury and reconstruction ranged between (4-25) years, theirscalp defects ranging between (5x10cm -13x25cm). We were able to completely reconstruct77.5% of the total patients with single or multiple sessions of expansions. The remaining 22.5%patients have benefited from reduction in the percentage of alopecia and recreation of anteriorhair line to camouflage their defects. Major complications occurred in 6 cases(15%), in whichthe expansion process interrupted with removal of the expander.In conclusion, It is not always possible to measure the absolute efficacy of a surgical techniqueor determine a general guideline its indication of the tissue expansion procedure althoughafflicted with a broad range of possible complications, the tissue expansion procedure remains avaluable and reliable technique for the reconstruction of post burn alopecia of the scalp.


Article
Postburn head and neck reconstruction using tissue expanders
إعادة بناء الرأس والرقبة بعد الحرق باستخدام موسعات الأنسجة

Author: Jalal Hamasalih Fattah
Journal: Zanco Journal of Medical Sciences مجلة زانكو للعلوم الطبية ISSN: 19955588/19955596 Year: 2014 Volume: 18 Issue: 3 Pages: 786-792
Publisher: Hawler Medical Univeristy جامعة هولير الطبية

Loading...
Loading...
Abstract

Background and objective: Tissue expanders are useful adjuvant in reconstruction after burn. The technique provides tissue of similar texture and color to the defect to be covered and has the added advantage of minimal donor site morbidity. The study aimed to assess the outcome and complications of using tissue expansion for head and neck postburn reconstruction. Methods: Thirty patients with head and neck burn scar, treated with thirty eight tissue expanders, were included in this prospective study at the Plastic Surgery Department in Rizgari Teaching Hospital in Erbil from April 2009 to November 2012, with the mean age of 14 years. Statistical package for social sciences (SPSS version 18) was used for data entry and analysis.Results: The commonest use of tissue expander was for treating postburn scar alopecia (18 patients, 60%), followed by postburn cheek scar (six patients 20%). The scar size ranged from 4x10cm to 16x24cm. Complete burn scar excision was possible in 80% of cases with single or multiple sessions of expansion. Early exposure of the expander followed by infection occurred in three cases (10%), which led to interruption of the expansion and expander removal. Satisfactory results were achieved after reconstruction in 90% of cases.Conclusion: Tissue expansion, if carefully planned and conducted, is one of the treatments of choice for post-burn reconstruction of the head and neck, allowing an expanded flap suitable for versatile coverage.


Article
Reconstruction of post-burn scalp alopecia using tissue expansion in Erbil
إعادة بناء ثعلبة فروة الرأس بعد الاحتراق باستخدام تمدد الأنسجة في أربيل

Author: Sabir Osman Mustafa
Journal: Zanco Journal of Medical Sciences مجلة زانكو للعلوم الطبية ISSN: 19955588/19955596 Year: 2016 Volume: 20 Issue: 1 Pages: 1254-1259
Publisher: Hawler Medical Univeristy جامعة هولير الطبية

Loading...
Loading...
Abstract

Background and objective: Reconstruction of post burn scalp alopecia using tissue expansion represents, nowadays, the standard method of treatment for this pathology. Tissue expansion is a straightforward technique, providing large skin flaps whose color and texture matches the area to be reconstructed, achieving optimal final aesthetic result. The aim of this study was to evaluate the results and complications of using tissue expansion for post burn scalp alopecia reconstruction. Methods: Thirty four patients having post burn scalp alopecia were treated with scalp tissue expansion, using forty tissue expanders at Rizgary Teaching Hospital in Erbil from February 2009 to December 2014. The age group ranged from 7-35 years and the mean age of the patients was 16 years. Statistical package for the social sciences (version 18) was used for data entry and analysis. Results: Complete reconstruction of post burn alopecia was achieved in 82.35% of the total patients with either a single or multiple sessions of expansions. The remaining 17.65% were benefited from reduction in the percentage of scar and recreation of anterior hair line. The size of scalp alopecia ranged between 4x7cm-11x20cm. Major complications occurred in 3 cases (8.8%), in which the expansion process was interrupted with removal of expander, while minor complications happened in 4 cases (11.76%), which did not interrupt the expansion. Conclusion: The use of tissue expansion for reconstruction of post burn alopecia is a useful and safe technique, since it is the only procedure that allows the development of normal hair bearing tissue to cover the areas of alopecia

Listing 1 - 3 of 3
Sort by
Narrow your search

Resource type

article (3)


Language

English (2)


Year
From To Submit

2016 (1)

2014 (1)

2011 (1)